Had sex after periods ended, took unwanted72. Why did she have irregular bleeding? How to prevent pregnancy?

My wife had her periods from 31st May'12- 5th June'12. We had intercourse on 1st XXXXXXX on her 2nd day of periods without protection and she took an Unwanted72 pill. And on 5th XXXXXXX again we had an intercourse and the Condom did tear into parts, so she took an Unwanted72 with some soda. We thought that the contraception might fail since she took the same with soda, so on 6th XXXXXXX again she took another unwanted72. things went fine, but yesterday 11th june'12 she had an irregular menstrual flow and she had the same flow yesterday i.e.12th June'12(heavy flow) and she is having her flow today too i.e., 13th June'12. We are tensed. Is she PREGNANT...??? We don't want kids until next year. Are these irregular periods normal if Unwanted72 is taken. is there any chances of getting pregnant..?? If so what shall we do to prevent pregnancy...??? How can and Why is she having her periods again...??? She was feeling bit weak and was getting the feel of vommiting yesterday evening. Please answer within 24-48 hours.
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 50 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

First, relax. I can see from your mail that you are very anxious.

If your wife has been having regular periods previously, and if you had intercourse on the day of her periods (2nd XXXXXXX and 5 th June), it is quite UNLIKELY that she is pregnant. There was no need to take unwanted 72 during periods in the first place. She would be pregnant only if both of you had intercourse in the month of May close to her date of ovulation. Therefore, if you both have not had intercourse in the month of May, there is no chance that she is pregnant. However, all the above said holds well if she has been having regular monthly periods previously.

I feel the irregular periods right now could be due to Unwanted 72 or it could also be due to the stress and anxiety that she could be pregnant. Please do not take Unwanted 72 on a regular basis. Better than that would be to go for oral contraceptive pills on a daily basis, provided there are no contraindications to its use.

Right now, I do not think there is anything to worry. However if the duration or flow exceeds the normal periods that she has, then, it is better to visit a gynecologist for further evaluation.

Hope I have answered your question. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan