Had sex after a few days from last period. What are the chances of pregnancy?

Question
want to know the chances of getting pregnant. its a 28 day cycle. period happend on march 20th and intercourse happend on 7th APril. what are the chances?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.

In my opinion, you have fairly good chances of conceiving. Since your last menstrual period was on 20th March and ovulation generally takes place between day 10 to day 18 of the cycle, women who wish to conceive should have unprotected sexual intercourse atleast on alternate days during these days.

The exact chances cannot be predicted as several factors are involved which cannot be calculated. Women can take anywhere upto 6 months-1 year to conceive. If you miss your next period, please do a urine pregnancy test 1 week after the due date to confirm the pregnancy. This needs to be done using an early morning urine sample.

Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Had sex after a few days from last period. What are the chances of pregnancy? 3 minutes later
if at all we want to avoid this pregnancy now, what is the correct process. which pill is the right one to use now? as it happened yesterday

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 33 minutes later

Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

I would suggest that you have iPill as soon as possible. One tablet needs to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sexual intercourse. This tablet contains levonorgestrel and would help prevent pregnancy. This needs to be taken as soon as possible.

You can expect some amount of nausea, vomiting, lower abdominal pain, breast tenderness, and headache. Some unexpected vaginal bleeding can also occur. Your next period can come sooner or later than expected. However if your period are delayed by more than a week, please perform a urine pregnancy test as explained earlier.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions.

Follow-up: Had sex after a few days from last period. What are the chances of pregnancy? 16 minutes later
thanks XXXXXXX
we think period started on Mar 19th and intercourse happend yesterday. And as we have 31 days last month think it falls outside 10-18 days cycle. and made sure that sperm dint go inside. just the harmones we believe. as a precautionary stop my wife has asked to raise questoin with you.

do u still suggest to take ipill? or eating fruit like papaya will help? kindly suggest/

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.
Even though this date falls outside this time period, we cannot guarantee that ovulation cannot occur 1-2 days early or late. While the chances of conceiving are reduced, we cannot be 100% sure that pregnancy will not occur. Hence I recommended that your wife take 1 tablet of this drug within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. Eating papaya will not help. It has no proven efficacy in preventing pregnancy.

Hope this helps.