Had sex. Took pill. Have PCOS. How effective is the pill in preventing pregnancy?

I had sex with a quy and took an i pill within 48 hours. He tried and made sure not to discharge in me, and other times he used condoms too.
Still i am worried of getting pregnant.
I cannot depend on my periods to ensure that i m pregnant, because my periods are already irregular. i have PCOS.
how much are i pills effective? do i need to worry? how and in how much time can i be sure that nothing is wrong even if i do not get my periods?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Emergency pill is very much effective when taken within the stipulated time; at an average of 85% safety rate. The safety is 97% when taken on the first day and 84% when taken on the second day. Moreover, pregnancy can occur when unprotected intercourse with ejaculation occurs around the ovulation period. As ejaculation did not occur and condoms have been used, you are relatively safe.

PCOD can cause irregular or absent ovulation and as you said, ovulation cannot be predicted. The only way to find out the ovulation period is to use ovulation kits.

The emergency pill can interfere with your normal menstrual pattern as it contains excess hormone and may cause a disturbance in the menstruation and you may or may not get your next period. You may wait for at least 3 weeks after the accident as you cannot predict when your next period is due and then see a specialist for a proper evaluation and appraisal of your situation. You may also need to get a proper evaluation to correct the PCOD and take a regular form of contraception that helps to control the cycles as well as provide contraception.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to get back if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Had sex. Took pill. Have PCOS. How effective is the pill in preventing pregnancy? 2 hours later
Thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX

If i do not get my periods then how will i come to know if its due to PCOD (as my periods are already irregular due to that) or because of pregnancy?
And in how much time can i be sure that now there is no harm (even if i do not get periods)?
Is there any time duration till which if everything is fine..that means i m out of danger?
I had sex for first time and so used i pill for first time too, and so i m very much worried. I will prefer if its not required see a doctor.
Is there anything i can do further to get periods early or immediately and kill my tension as soon as possible?
Because i will be stressed until i dont get my periods and i dont even know when that will happen. My last period was in XXXXXXX 2013.
Pls suggest some way to know that nothing is wrong as early as possible.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If you do not get your period, you should get a serum beta-hCG measurement which is a blood test for confirmation of pregnancy, 3-4 weeks after the date of intercourse. You can then have a trans-vaginal/pelvic sonogram as well which gives you double confirmation. This is the earliest possible timing.

At present, there is nothing much to do except wait for a couple of weeks at least as you cannot risk taking further hormonal medication for inducing a withdrawal bleed as you have already consumed a hormone tablet in high doses. Please do not stress much about the outcome since stress itself can delay a period.

I would ask you to consult a doctor for the treatment of PCOD as it helps you plan your contraception properly and relieve you from so many unnecessary tensions. You can do some regular daily exercise and try to maintain a healthy body weight as a slight reduction in body weight has been shown to bring significant change in the menstrual pattern. Alleviate stress by practising some form of meditation.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please get back if you have further queries. I will be ready to help.

Follow-up: Had sex. Took pill. Have PCOS. How effective is the pill in preventing pregnancy? 10 minutes later

I will be consulting a doctor for PCOD in a day or two and the doctor will surely give some medicines to regularize my periods.

Will those hormonal medicines not interfere with the effectiveness of i pill or vice versa?

secondly, we used condoms, but twice it was done without condom..but he did not discharged inside there any chance that some amount of semen was secreted between his withdrawal from me to avoid any discharge inside me? and i dont know if i was ovulating, i cant tell that.

i have got pelvic sonography done for PCOD. If i get it done in next 3 weeks again, then will it be clarified in that about risk of pregnancy?

and if that comes to be positive in this 3 weeks sonography report, then what can i do to avoid pregnancy?

Pls answer all questions.
Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 6 hours later

The hormonal medicines given to manage PCOD are not going to effect the emergency pill you have taken as the work with the pill has been already done; please remember it is a one-time pill and not a long-acting contraceptive.

Even when ejaculation does not occur, the pre-ejaculate can contain enough sperms to fertilize an ovum if ovulation happens to occur around that period; in fact, a single sperm is enough.

A pelvic or trans-vaginal sonography (preferable) should be able to diagnose a gestation sac if you did conceive during the unprotected intercourse; the sonogram should be taken at least 3 weeks away from the act to get a definite confirmation. You can cross-check at the same time with a serum beta-hCG measurement.

If at all you happen to conceive, you should see a specialist to suggest you some medication for a medical abortion if you wish to abort. Different regimes are available and they are effective when performed early on. You should check for the completion of abortion later on at a consultation and a follow-up sonogram.

Hope I have answered all your questions. If you have no further queries, you may close this discussion. Please feel free to get back anytime. I will be ready to help.

Wish you good health.