Had sex. Having delayed periods, stomach paining and not able to move. Pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I had sex with my bf on 18 may and my period date is 30 and now it is 6th XXXXXXX haven't got my period started yet my stomach paining a lot not able to move and have checked by prega news today am I preagnant and when will I get my date
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 42 minutes later

According to your period date, you were involved in unprotected sex close to your ovulation time or fertile days. Here, chance of being pregnant is quite high.

Generally, period may be delayed up to 7 days due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Today, you have checked pregnancy status with prega news. If you get two clear visible line on the strip, then you are pregnant. Though early pregnancy test is less significant. You need to undergo one blood test for beta hcg after 6th XXXXXXX to confirm the same.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons of late period are hormonal ups & downs, ovarian cyst, stress/ anxiety, irregular diet habit, change in weight, increased prolactin level, pelvic/ vaginal infection, psychological factors etc.

Following above blood test, you need to consult with gynecologist for other relevant investigations to pin point the diagnosis. Take suggestive measures & medication accordingly.

In the interim, do the following things:

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Keep bowel habit regular and drink plenty of fluids/ juice.
3) Try to avoid stress/ anxiety by yoga or meditation regularly.
4) Maintain genital hygiene properly and take sound sleep.
5) Take some anti spasmodic (like drotaverine) to combat abdominal cramp.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Had sex. Having delayed periods, stomach paining and not able to move. Pregnant? 13 hours later
my test came negative with only one line on prega news i had checked twice 0n 5th XXXXXXX night and 6th XXXXXXX early morning first urine both results negative can i still be preagnant i am really worried please help me please and when would i will get my periods what is the maximum time of delay for periods after taking pill i had taken unwanted 72 after having sex with in 2 hours

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

Many patient experience delayed period of upto 7-10 days following I-pill usage. But it is always unpredictable to assume exact days of delaying; therefore it is essential to rule out pregnancy by tests.

As blood test are more reliable than urine sample based home pregnancy tests, it is ideal to undergo one blood test for beta HCG to confirm pregnancy if you do not get your period after 7 days. If the blood test is also negative, then you may consult a gynecologist to induce periods. He/she can prescribe preogesterone pill to induce period.

In the mean time, you should follow previously mentioned suggestive measures to get some beneficial effect.

Hope, it helps for you. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had sex. Having delayed periods, stomach paining and not able to move. Pregnant? 4 hours later
is unwanted 72 is not good as earlier i had taken i pill and got my date on time but this time i am not getting my dates is this tablet is bad and if i dosent get down in 10 days from my period date what should i do

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

Unwanted 72 pill is good emergency contraceptive pill. But it gives protection 95% against unwanted pregnancy if it is taken within 24 hrs. No contraceptive pill gives 100% protection.

Therefore, it is ideal to go for blood test (beta HCG) to confirm your pregnancy status. It is more reliable than home pregnancy test. On negative blood test, you will get relief from mental stress.

If you do not get your period within 10 days, you need to consult with gynecologist for relevant investigation. Most of the patients take progesterone pill to induce their period in exclusion of pregnancy. You can easily take your prescription from your doctor.

Hope, I have cleared your confusion. Now, you can close your discussion.

Good luck for rest of the days.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had sex. Having delayed periods, stomach paining and not able to move. Pregnant? 7 days later
doctor as discussed earlier my date was 30thmay and today is 12june i havent got period yet but last night on 11th XXXXXXX while going washrom i feel some thick blood very little and today on 12th XXXXXXX in afternoon i saw very little thick drop of blood type am i down or am i preagnant i am worried what to doo please help me

Answered by Dr. S Patra 23 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

In this circumstances, you can wait for another 2-3 days to get period normally. If you do not get it, you consult with your healthcare provider or gynecologist for relevant tests and next line management.

Blood test for beta-HCG and Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) are required to rule out possible conception or miscarriage (in failure of Unwanted 72).

If above tests are negative, your doctor may prescribe progesterone medication to induce your period. Try to avoid mental stress and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, it helps for your information. Let me ask for more clarification.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had sex. Having delayed periods, stomach paining and not able to move. Pregnant? 6 hours later
on 12th XXXXXXX I started bleeding but sorry to say this word but colour is black and not proper flow is there stil any possibility of me that I may be preagnant and will I get my periods on time next month am I still can be preagnant as I had started bleeding but not properly hope you understanding me my English also not very proper I am in trouble please help

Answered by Dr. S Patra 17 minutes later

Thanks for your query. I understand your word and situation.

I have told previously that you need to undergo above mentioned tests (blood tests & TVS scan) after 2-3 days waiting. These tests are required to eliminate possible conception or miscarriage.

Black color bleeding is quite abnormal. Clinically it is quite difficult to confirm whether it is menstrual period or abortion bleeding in early weeks. You also get some relief from mental stress on both negative tests.

Please consult with your gynecologist or local doctor to proceed the tests and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Hope, I have cleared your confusion. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Dr Soumen