Had severe wheezing and took nebulizer. Diagnosed pneumonia. ans treated with Zpack. Family history of cancer. Guide?

Question
Hi Doc, I was recently in the ER for severe wheezing and was given a nebulizer which helped they did an EKG normal co2 97% and bp 110/64 blood test caused concern for possible clot in lung xray clean and ct showed ground glass nodule not XXXXXXX of size diagnosed with pneumonia and treated with zpack and inhaler. I had follow up 1 week later with pcp and seems confident not cancer and scheduled follow up end of July with pulmonary doc and another CT. Any thoughts on this? And your past experience. I am a 49 year old female, smoker and strong family history of cancer - father liver, gall bladder, lung, sister breast and paternal grandfather colon cancer. Thank you
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Amelioration of the symptoms with the Zpack, which of course is an antibiotic implies this was a acute infection of the lungs. These symptoms you presented with actually have nothing to do with lung cancer.

Its true you got the main risk factor for lung cancer which is smoking. Family history or history of other cancers are have not been associated to be risk factors for lung cancer.

I suggest for now, you present actually with no signs and symptoms for the disease. Quitting smoking would be the best cost effective and sure way to reduce the risk of developing this condition. A chest X XXXXXXX and CT scan could be useful in describing the actual state of the lung tissues and surroundings.

Without any symptoms suggestive of lung cancer yet, with a past history of a recent normal chest X XXXXXXX chances that the CT scan and X XXXXXXX will normal are very high. For now, personally, I am not bothered and do not think you should have lung cancer at this point in time. I strongly suggest you think seriously of quitting smoking. No worries with respect to a family history of other cancers are lung cancer, family history is one of the weakest risk factors for lung cancer. The main risk factor is smoking.

I suggest you stay calm for now, and have a deep reflection on quitting smoking, as you wait to see your pulmonologist for a complete clinical review. Be good.

Feel very asking any further specific questions if need be. I would be very glad making contributions.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.