Had severe virus affecting throat. Now have a removed tonsil stone, feeling weak, tired, lump in neck. Permanent treatment?

ENT Specialist
I had a severe virus affecting my throat about a year ago and since then my tonsils have never been the same, I started getting the odd tonsil stone which I could remove but since January ive been going to my gp about feeling very weak and tired and now have a small lump on my neck and lots of tonsil stones which i can't remove. What would the treatment be for this as when I see my gp it always feels like a waste of time.(27 years old)
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Lymphoid tissue such as the tonsils does not regress to its earlier size after an infection or inflammation. If the lump in your neck is near the angle of the jaw, then it may be the Jugulo-Digastric (JD) lymph node which drains the tonsil area. This lymph node hypertrophies in Chronic Tonsillitis.

2. When Chronic Tonsillitis develops, the tonsils act as a focus of infection in the body, causing weakness and other constitutional symptoms. Get a local ENT specialist to look for the four signs and symptoms of Chronic Tonsillitis:
a. History of recurrent attacks exceeding the above criteria.
b. Anterior pillar congestion.
c. Palpable, non-tender JD nodes.
d. Visibly enlarged tonsils.
Tonsillectomy is indicated if you have more than 5 to 6 attacks of acute tonsillitis per year for 2 to 3 consecutive years. Lesser than this should be managed by medical therapy.

3. Tonsilloliths are concretions of food particles and pus lodged in the natural crypts of the palatine tonsils. The white discharge is sometimes referred to as 'cheesy', 'hard' or even 'toothpaste' like in consistency. The largest crypt is known as the crypta magna and is located near the upper pole of the palatine tonsil.

4. When we swallow, our palatine tonsils rub against the food bolus and pick up food particles. This food debris decays there while it is analysed for antigens, foreign bodies and organisms by the lymphoid tissue which forms the bulk of the tonsils. Below the age of five years, this is especially important in the development of immunity.

4. For recurrent large tonsilloliths, the only definitive treatment is tonsillectomy. Do you have halitosis (bad breath)? You may try regular use of a medicated gargle and continue manually expressing them while brushing your teeth.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them.