Had severe sore throat, with cold and mucus in chest. Taking OC and herbal tablets. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I started with a severe sore throat last Sunday -progressed into a 3-day head cold with considerable mucus - now it's in my chest - .no fever & no trouble breathing, but a continuous sever cough Must sleep sitting up. Unable to take aspirin . Am taking OC lozenges & herbal cold tablets.. Drinking lots of liquids. I'm 89 & in reasonable good health.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PND, Check-up, Medication.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If the cough is worse on lying down (you have to sleep sitting up), then one possibility is a Post Nasal Drip (PND). Sinusitis must be ruled out.

2. It will be better to get examined. In the meanwhile, you may request your physician to add an anti-allergic, mucolytic, steam inhalation, a medicated gargle and a cough suppressant.

3. A severe cold and cough will require stepping up the current treatment. If this does not settle in a day or two, seek medical attention.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.