Had severe pain in rib cage and feeling sore. Could this be due to gas?

Rheumatologist
Question
Last night at rest I experienced a quick onset of severe pain on my right side beginning around the bottom of my rib cage and extended up into my right arm, neck and into my lower jaw. It lasted approx. 10-15 mins. I'm still very sore. I did burp when it was over. Can I assume it was gas?
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that there is a possibilty that you may had acute gastritis but still in my opinion you should see your cardiologist to rule out any kind of cardiac involvement although the chances are less but at least an ECG examination is required . If it would have been gas problem only , muscles would not have been sore till this long . So, in my opinion you must see a doctor . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Had severe pain in rib cage and feeling sore. Could this be due to gas? 3 minutes later
Wow so it "Could" be cardiac even on the right side? since I burped I thought it was gas. I'm still sore, tho, and my throat is tight. thank you.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Cardiac pain can radiate to either side left or right so ruling this cause remains necessary . Take care. Dr. Shruti