Had severe pain in leg, ankle and foot. Noticed vitamin D deficiency. Prescribed Selcal and Carnisure. Taking correct medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had severe lower leg pain, ankle and foot pain since 20 days.
I am found with Vitamin D deficincy of 17 ng/ml.
Doctor prescribed Selcal CT 500 for 3 months & Carnisure 500 & Evion 400 for one month each.
Am I on right direction in taking these medicines?
Am worried.
Pl advise.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Well good line of treatment

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

Leg, ankle foot pain can also be due to compression of nerve in spinal canal, hope your doctor have ruled out the possibility of nerve compression.
Another possibility can be deep vein thrombosis but in that only calf pain is severe, an arterial colour Doppler is required to confirm that.

Chronic muscle fatigue could lead to similar symptoms for which your doctor has given you treatment so it’s good to continue these medicines.
I will advise to check your Vit B12 level also and if needed start supplement accordingly.

I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.

Follow-up: Had severe pain in leg, ankle and foot. Noticed vitamin D deficiency. Prescribed Selcal and Carnisure. Taking correct medication? 2 days later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your review and inputs on my questions and case history on leg pain. As suggested by you I took Vit B12 test.

The result is 268 pg/ml.

Please advise if this necessitates me to taken any medicine for B12. If so suggest me the medicine with dose and time span.
Grateful to receive your feedback

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 45 hours later
Brief Answer:
The result is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

I am sorry for the delayed response; I was at a conference with limited internet access.

Your B 12 level at 268 pg/ml is normal. There is no need to take B12 supplements at this time.

Please do continue the other medications that you are prescribed.

Wish you good health and good day ahead!

Take care!

Follow-up: Had severe pain in leg, ankle and foot. Noticed vitamin D deficiency. Prescribed Selcal and Carnisure. Taking correct medication? 8 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks a lot for your response. Much appreciate your response at the midst of your other schedules.

Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Welcome...

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your feedback. Can you leave a feed back on my profile. You can do that by closing this discussion.

Thanks again for discussing with me.

Follow-up: Had severe pain in leg, ankle and foot. Noticed vitamin D deficiency. Prescribed Selcal and Carnisure. Taking correct medication? 15 days later
Sir,

I recap my case in short below:
Lower leg pain since 1.50 months.
Identified D vit deficinecy of 17ng/ml
Vit B12 268pg/ml
Sugar levels normal
RA factors- Normal
Underwent PTCA 6 yrs back , Otherwise good helath
Nerve compression rules out thoru MRI.
Deep thrombosis ruled out with comments"Bilateral Lower Limb arteries show mild wall calcification without causing significant luminal compromise"
Undertaking medicines shelcal CT 500-1 per day for 3 months, Carnisure 500- 1 per day for one month, Evion 500-1 per day one month.
Now one month medicaiton complete for the above.

Pain hardly reducing, though not increasing.

Additionally info- I suffered from Dengue during May end ( 3 months back), and back to normal later.

Please advise besides the present medication of Shel cal 500 for the next two months, anything else I need to supplement?
I have lower leg pain, especialy unable to stand beyond 5 minutes time as pain in foot.
Will swimming/walking help relieving my pain??
Much confused..
Is my doppler test result referred above is normal?
Awaiting your reply please.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take vit D ,and physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

That’s good that your entire test are normal,
Leg Muscle cramps are very common in females, my advise for you

Take plenty of water, fluid intake will dilute toxins.
Physiotherapy with ultrasound and Tens will help you,
Yes you can do exercises like swimming, riding stationary bicycle,walking, but do not overexert yourself.This will help you.
Take potassium XXXXXXX diet.
Hot and cold fomentation to leg.

You need to continue you medication for couple of month to see effects.
Add tab methylcobal 1500 once day and cap vit D 60k once week.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had severe pain in leg, ankle and foot. Noticed vitamin D deficiency. Prescribed Selcal and Carnisure. Taking correct medication? 6 hours later
Sir,
Thanks for the reply.
Please address the following specific items:
1. I am a male, you'd mistaken as female- just for note and additional advise if any..
2. your impression on the wording of dopler reuslt mentioned by me above.(i.e mild calsification..)
3. Is there a role of of Dengue in my present leg pain?
Thanks in anticipation..

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
mild calcification early sign of atherosclerosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Apologies for the mistake.

Doppler report -mild calcification suggest signs of atherosclerosis. As there is no significant luminal obstruction it's a positive sign. However in view of atherosclerosis, maintain your cholesterol level and avoid fatty diet.

Dengue leads to whole body pain specially in back [spine], but it doesn't last so long. So I don't think the leg pain is related to dengue.

I apologize for mistake