Had severe migraine. Now have auras. Having symptoms like dizziness and lightheadedness. What is the cause?

I am 73years old and still working part time at thelocal adult learning center, teachiing ESL. I get about well and drive anywhere I want to go. I have in the past had severe migraines; now, I only have the auras. I am wearing a 30-day heart monitor right now to check for irregular heart rhythm. It seems I have that problem only when I am not being checked. I have high blood pressure that I take meds for. I am having such dizziness and lightheadedness and not only when I stand. This issue seems to be glossed over by my doctors. What are the main causes?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hypertension and Migraine.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

You have two medical conditions which are relevant to your presenting complaints(Symptoms). Those conditions are hypertension and migraine.

Dizziness and lightheadedness are symptoms medically called as vertigo.
It is mainly due to problems in the brain and ear like labyrinthitis.

Cinnarizine table at the time of the episode is helpful.
Consult and ENT specialists and rule out ear problems.

If the ear is normal then MRI scan of the brain may be need to rule out brain problems like infarct etc..

Secondly postural hypotension is also an important due to sudden variation in the posture. So slowly change the position while getting up.

Control of blood pressure is also important. Because increased blood pressure also causes dizziness and lightheadedness.
Restrict salt in diet.
Take medications regularly.
Exercise and monitor the blood pressure.

Lastly electrolyte imbalance and dehydration are present with dizziness and lightheadedness.

Take 6 to 8 glasses of water a day.
Test your serum electrolyte and correct it if there is any abnormality in consultation with your doctor.

Also let me know the medicines that you are taking.

Hope the answer helps you.
Let me you if you have any clarifications.