Had severe gut pain. US and blood test showed high lypase level. Overweight. Cause and treatment?

General Surgeon
Hi sir i went to the emergency room about two weeks ago with severe gut pain that seemed to roam and go everywhere. they did ultrasound and blood tests and said my lypase level was high otherwise looked fine. i am 38 6' 2'' 220llbs a little overweight. they said it might be my diet, i dont drink. Since then the pain hasnt been quite as bad but still there and seems to be coming from my upper left side of gut. could this be gastritis? Thankx for your attention
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Yes this seems to be gastritis or other stomach issue like peptic ulcer or Helicobacter Pylori infection. It is quite characteristic for stomach pain to bu chronic, dull pain, which aggravates after a meal. Nausea and acid reflux can be also present.
Elevated lipase can by caused by pancreas irritation due to spicy foods, fatty foods, alcohol or medicines.

I suggest you to have gastroscopy as a next step.
In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.