Had severe cold. Having pain in chest. Having muscle spasm. Had costo. Prescribed pain killers. Suggest?

Pulmonologist
Question
I had a severe cold and i continued to smoke while i had this cold (marijuana) i got serious pain in my chest and went to the hospital and they thought it was costochondritis as i had everything checked, the pain was bad but went away in a few days... a few days later I tried LSD for the first time and this is when i believe for 12 hours straight i had a muscle cramp / spasm in the same spot where i had the costo or the chemical reaction did something?

It has gone away twice now but if i stress it seems to tighten up that area and a deep breath will bring back the problem.. I am not even sure this is costochondritis, as it was just a thought by the doctor, and my normal GP just gave me some anti inflams, pain killers and said it would go away.

It has been 4 months now with no luck - i am 22 years old.

I have tried absolutely everything from Zyflamened (nautral anti inflams), cod liver, glucosamiune, echinacea, goldenseal root and i just bought some flexnow to try and reduce the inflamation -

When i go on a run i usually feel a little bit better a few hours after or the next day it seems to clear me up a little bit...
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to get evaluated in detail.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Firstly , you need to stop taking habit forming drugs.

2. You need to get a detailed evaluation done. Investigationas that may be required are - chest Xray, ECG, 2D Echo, treadmill Stress test, MRI thjorax (with focus on chest wall) to look for costochondritis, Pulmonary function test.

3. Thus you need to be evaluated by XXXXXXX medicine specialist, cardiologist, orthopedician and pulmonologist.

4. Meanwhile you may continue taking anti inflammatory medications as prescribed by your doctor but do not forget to take antacid medications with them.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Had severe cold. Having pain in chest. Having muscle spasm. Had costo. Prescribed pain killers. Suggest? 6 hours later
I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that I have had every kind of test.. X-rays, MRI, ECG, echo cardigram ... Everything has come back saying that I'm fine yet this pain is ridiculous and won't stop.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drug induced symptoms has a more probability.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.After going through your follow up, I would like to comment the following:

If a detailed work up has been done and all possible causes ruled out, then the chances of drug induced side effect needs to be considered. Please report it to the concerned physician incharge of the drug trial.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Had severe cold. Having pain in chest. Having muscle spasm. Had costo. Prescribed pain killers. Suggest? 5 minutes later
They have diagnosed it as costochondritis.

I have looked up all my symptoms and that's what it seems to be...

LSD is out of your system completely within 24 hours - it's been 4 months
I seem to have flare ups that can make it worse and it sometimes goes away.. It is defiantly inflammation..

As I have mentioned it has been months now living with this and have listed what I have been taking. Your answer does not seem to be helping ?

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Costochondritis needs to be treated with NSAIDS.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.After going through your followup, I would like to comment the following:

1. Marijuana smoking leads to a severe injury to your airways so does LSD. Even after 24 hours the residual injury to airwways does affect your pulmonary functions!

2. Considering your work up has been done, and only then a diagnosis of costochondritis has been reached, then the chances of costochondritis is pretty high. Do you have pain while pressing on the chest wall at the site of pain (if yes, then the sign called "tenderness" is characteristic of costochondritis).

3. Costochondritis is treated with anti inflammatory medications and smoking needs to be avoided as it does no good. Simple measures like avoidance of smoking , not sleeping on your tummy (i.e. with chest downwards) will help.

4. Further ooptions are : local warm fomentation (heat therapy),Gentle stretching of the pectoralis muscles 2-3 times a day (physiotherapy),In severe refractory cases local infiltration of local anesthetic, steroid, or intercostal nerve block in pain clinics may be done. All these options are for severe costochondritis not responding to medical line of management and they should be administered in supervision of a physician / orthopedician.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist