Had severe chest and back pain. EKG and BP normal. What would cause discomfort in breast bone area?

Jun 2015

Last night I turned over in bed and had severe chest pain and back pain. I called 911 and they responded and did an EKG and blood pressure. The pain went away after 20 minutes as fast as it came. Today I have discomfort and if I press on the breast bone area it hurts.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Any episode of recent acute illness? 2. Any history of injury or trauma to the chest and back region? 3. Is there any significant past history of systemic disease like Diabetes, Hypertension? 4. Any recent history of sudden Anxiety, Stress, inadequate hydration, improper nutrition & lack of sleep? 5. Any history of prolonged intake of certain medications? 6. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption? Assuming that your EKG & blood pressure findings are within normal limits, any pathology in the Heart can be ruled out. And, if your answer to the above mentioned questions is NO, then the symptoms can be attributed to pain from Gastrointestinal tract like acid reflux or formation of gas in stomach. Because, even in the causes involving the digestive tract, pain gets referred to chest and back due to irritation of diaphragm & phrenic nerve. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by: 1. Tablet Pantoperazole 20 mg twice a day (to be taken 30 minutes before meals) 2. Application of analgesic+muscle relaxant gel 3. Multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet. And it is also needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle, such as: 1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods. 2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration. 3. Avoid fast foods & gas producing food products like cabbage, etc. 4. Avoid smoking & alcohol. 5. Keep away stress, think positive. 6. Exercise regularly & practice meditation. If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult your General Physician & get a proper physical examination done. Investigations like complete blood count, X ray of chest, Ultrasound scan of abdomen & endoscopy will be helpful in detecting any pathological cause for the symptoms. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Please let me know if I can clarify further. Wishing a good health. Take care.