Had severe cervical myelopathy. Having severe gait symptoms. Scan showed white spot in cervical cord

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Severe cervical myelopathy in 2011. Severe gait symptoms. Good outcome. Now scans show a long white streak down the center of cervical cord. Dr has ruled out lumbar surgery because of this. What is it? Can it increase? What problems can it cause? My surgeon says it has a large role in my increased lumbar pain. 3 prior surgeries in lumbar--2 with fusion. B4 cervical surgery cord was greatly compressed, just a thread appeared on MRI. Now decompressed but now there is this white streak. Surgeon says it is affecting the pain in lumbar spine and will wax and wane with gait and pain problems. Fusion was C6-7
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It can be edema or syrigomyelia Detailed Answer: Hello, As per your history and investigation there is possibility of syringomyelia. It may increase and affect spinal canal. It can lead to persistent pain, tingling and numbness in your arms. Another possibility of just central canal edema associated with myelopathy .You cant do much for it and only symptomatic treatment can be done. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care