Had severe abdominal pain and constipation. CT scan says occlusion of proximal celiac axis. What is the meaning?

May 2014

I occ have some pain in left abd .About 2 months ago I had severe pain,same area,n,v and constipation.Went to urgent care RX for constipation.My Dr. Ordered ct scan.showed fullness of cervical region,3.6x3.7 cm APby6.2cmtransverse.High grade stenosis if not occlusion of proximal celiac axis.I am waiting for app. With vascular.What is the meaning of all this,please.
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. There are two important findings in your CT scan report as mentioned by you. 1. Fullness of cervical region measuring 3.6 x 3.7 x 6.2 cm. The diagnosis is not very clear and it would help if you can consult a gynaecologist and get an ultrasound scan of pelvis. This usually helps better whil making a gynaecological diagnosis. 2. Near complete block of the celiac trunk, this is an important blood vessel supplying the bowel. However when it gets blocked, the bowel may get its supply from the superiormesentric artery which provides parallel supply. Rarely can it cause uncompensated decreased blood supply leading to serious bowel ischemic injury which, if present, would have been noticed in your CT scan. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek