Had severe 2nd degree burn. How to remove burn marks?

General Surgeon
Hi I had severe 2nd degree burns due to a accident with the pressure pot where the boiling water spilled on my hands I still have marks in place how can I remove them?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The tissue which has been burned, were substituted by scar tissue. Unfortunately this tissue is build mostly from connective tissue and does not look like the tissues which were there before the burning.
And the bad news is that you wont be able to completely remove this tissue without leaving any XXXXXXX It is possible to make it less visible with some creams. To remove it completely, skin graft is necessary. But the skin must be taken from other place of your body (usually thigh) and this will leave a XXXXXXX in this place.
So if it does not impede with arm movements, skin grafts does not seem to be necessary.
You may try Mederma Gel (OTC). It should be applied 3 times a day for at least 3 months. It will for sure make your scars less visible.
If the effect wont be satisfactory for you, plastic surgeon might be helpful.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had severe 2nd degree burn. How to remove burn marks? 19 minutes later
My doctor told me once to put cocoa butter three times a day will this help?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
I don`t think so. It may make your scar a bit softer but never heard about it. Try Mederma which has proven effect and for sure will be better than cocoa butter.