Had several esophagus scopes and some were normal and slight patulous valve. Does it get worse when having GERD?

Question
I've had several esophagus scopes and some were normal and a few said slight patulous XXXXXXX valve. Does that get better and tighten off and on or get worse when having a gerd attack? I guess what I'm asking is can it get better at times and be more tight and worse at times when inflammed. Hoping mine gets better.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not documented but an attack signals reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am sorry to hear about your GERD.

The XXXXXXX does not change in consistency during an attack or in the absence of an attack. From the information you have provided, a majority of the scopes didn't really identify a problem. This implies that the abnormality is very minimal and should not be a big problem at this time. If it were, maybe you would have been proposed surgical correction.

Even without an abnormality of the XXXXXXX GERD is still a possibility. There are a number of factors which predispose to this. Caffeine intake, chocolates, smoking cigarettes, lying flat immediately after liquid meals, etc can all provoke and aggravate symptoms. You should control and limit them if any are applicable to you. This alongside your medications(ppi) should control your symptoms. Also, remember that increased abdominal pressure and high progesterone(during pregnancy) levels all favour GERD. This is to say it is not simply a problem of XXXXXXX but a combination of so many different factors.

It can only get better and a majority of people see their symptoms completely disappear unless there is a gross abnormality which seems not to be the case with you. I am confident your symptoms and state would improve over time. Compliance to treatment alongside lifestyle modifications are key.

I hope this answers your query fully. If you have follow up questions, please feel free to ask me. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah.

Follow-up: Had several esophagus scopes and some were normal and slight patulous valve. Does it get worse when having GERD? 48 hours later
I so appreciate your help, because I'm so confused. I had a scope and bravo ph done in mid July. Bravo said some reflux but not alot of acid. Scope said not alot of irritation. He took me off my ppi meds and said I didn't need them. This last week I have intense pain around XXXXXXX valve and severe burning. I know it's acid like to be burning that bad. It's not like classic heartburn in esophagus more like constant burning right at valve about maybe two inches up or around with a little coming more up. Would hypersensitivity hurt that bad without acid? And since then I've had alot of air bubbles..could it be a sliding hernia they didn't see and could it be severe pain in just five weeks from scope..it's only been burning one week? They did say valve was slightly patulous. I got back on ppi how long will it take to work or heal? Sorry my gi moved and don't have anyone to ask. I just know I can feel acid because it burns and hurts so bad in a specific area. Dies this ever correct with good measures?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
drugs and good measures can control pains

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for these follow up questions.

Would hypersensitivity hurt that bad without acid?

The answer is NO. Also, what hypersensitivity are you talking about and to what product?

And since then I've had alot of air bubbles..could it be a sliding hernia they didn't see and could it be severe pain in just five weeks from scope..it's only been burning one week?
Missing a sliding hiatal hernia on a scope would be a very big miss and it happens rarely. am not sure this is the case with you. No, all the findings have not been in support of this. Sliding hiatal hernia should have produced more severe symptoms and acidity on testing. There is also no scope related pain that only develops 4weeks after the procedure. This pain is in no way related to the procedure because it is too distant.

I got back on ppi how long will it take to work or heal?
You would get a relief of symptoms within 2days. It would take a longer time to heal completely and this is highly variable from client to client but close monitoring and testing gives an idea when it does occurs.

Dies this ever correct with good measures?
Good measures and drugs get symptoms controlled and enable healing. At times, measures alone may suffice but if drugs are warranted, then taking them is the right way to go.

Because your doctor stopped the medications and symptoms returned, it means stopping it next time has to be highly considered. And if it should be a persistent occurrence, then you may be proposed more invasive surgical procedures to address this.

Thanks and hope this helps.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD