Had septoplasty . Endoscopic nasal cleaning and crusting done. Suggested additonal crusting at the surgical site. Concerned?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist

I had a septoplasty 3 weeks ago and have been to 3 post op visits, one to take out stiches and packing, another to remove the splints and the last one a week ago where I was told everything looked great and endoscopic nasal cleaning was performed and crusting was removed. My doctor would like me to come in again for another check and possibly more endoscopic nasal cleaning, however I am now hesitant because the cost of this procedure was a surprising $1, 100. My question is, will any additonal crusting at the surgical site eventually come out on its own or am I at risk of this tissue remaining and causing complications later on?

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
regular follow up necessary

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

At the offset let me tell you that I am Dr Sriram Nathan who has done more than a thousand FESS and nasal surgeries over the years.

You must remember that in septoplasty or sinus surgery, the most important aspect of surgery is post operative follow up and regular cleaning.

The cleaning can either be done by you or by your doctor.
Regular cleaning using warm clean water with a pinch of baking soda and two pinch of salt using a rubber bulb should be done by you everyday at least twice in the initial two weeks and later on at least once for the next two months for proper and satisfactory result.

The cleaning done by you is absolutely safe and the more religiously you do the cleaning, the better it will be for you later on.

Occasionally in spite of your regular and best cleaning, there may be some crusts which has to be removed by the doctor. This can be done by a simple endoscopic procedure and is very very important.
Please do not think about the cost and hesitate to do the cleaning at this juncture as it is very vital for your healing process.

If the crusts remain without cleaning they may get infected and then the septal flap will not heal properly. You may have several complications because of this though these are rare but it would be unwise to even take the risk.

Smaller crusts may come out on its own but larger ones need to be removed as early as possible so that you may have a great recovery.
You must also remember that the recovery period of surgery of the nose is two months! Till then you should be careful so that later on life long you will not develop nose block and related problems.

So my earnest suggestion is do not worry and confidently go for the cleaning so that you will have a great recovery

take care and if you have any more doubts you are free to ask me anytime

Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: Had septoplasty . Endoscopic nasal cleaning and crusting done. Suggested additonal crusting at the surgical site. Concerned? 6 minutes later
Thanks very much Dr. XXXXXXX that is precisely what I needed to know.

Best regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
always welcome

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your complements and glad that I could help you

In addition you may also note that a little heaviness and block is fine at least for one to two months after surgery till the healing takes place so do not worry

heal and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan