Had septic infection caused by kidney stone. Took all medication. Can this be passed to others?

General Surgeon
Hello! I was in the ICCU unit for 3 days with a septic infection caused by a kidney stone. I received no warnings about protecting others...and took all my medication. My PCP took a clean catch urine sample a week later and called to say I am free of infection. Can this infection be passed on to others? Thank you!
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

First of all some explanation for you. Every second of your life you (and every other person) are in touch with many bacteria and viruses. And most of this bacteria do not cause an infection. It is because the human body is well protected. But in case of unusual factors (like a skin cut, lack of urine, dehydration, cold temperature, and kidney stone as well) this bacteria become XXXXXXX and cause infections.

The point is that the bacteria which were in your urine wont harm healthy person. There is also extremely low risk of an infection for sick person.
Moreover you seem to be free from this bacteria.

So you should not be worried about it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.