Had seizures at the grocery store. What could cause them if all results were normal?

Neurologist
Question
I have had three seizures in the past year and they have only occured when I am at the grocery store . What could be causing them ? I was checked and had my test results come in with no health issues .
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 56 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the details it looks to me like you are suffering from late onset seizures. All seizures happening at the grocery store looks interesting. I personally feel all three seizures that happened at grocery shop could be just co-incidental. Rarely it can be due to some trigger factor at the shop which has just caused the seizures.

Epilepsy is diagnosed mainly by history available from patient himself or from close relatives and sometimes by circumstantial evidence and not by any investigations. Positive results from the investigations will confirm the diagnosis but does not exclude the possibility of seizure disorder.

So I personally feel you need to be on anticonvulsants to prevent further seizures in you. In view of the late onset seizures you need to undergo detailed cardiac evaluation to exclude cardiac cause for convulsions.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Neurologist. You need to be on medications to prevent further seizures in the future and prevent brain damage.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist