Had seizures. CT scan and Eeg were normal. MRI due. Is MRI critical to epilepsy?

I am fifty years old and never suffered from epilepsy in my life. However this last month or so I suffered two seizures. After my first seizure a CT-Scan and Eeg were performed on me, and thanks God all appeared normal. Now I am to have an MRI in March 2012. I do not know why it will take so long. Can an MRI indicate something serious which the CT-Scan did not find?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Regarding the occurrence of late onset seizures, most common cause in the elderly is Stroke. In view of presence of the risk factors like hypertension and diabetes in you, I would favor a possibility of minor stroke in you. Other rare possibility could be tumors in this age group. Absence of headache and focal deficits would favor the former in you.

So, I personally feel minor stroke as the possibility in you and MRI will show the same which is usually not seen on CT scan.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Stroke specialist.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns, I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist