Had seizure with fever. ECG and MRI done. Getting fever. Is this normal?

Hi, My son is 11 month old and had first seizure with fever and later had two seizures with out fever and we had an EGG and MRI scan also done. EGG and MRI were normal but he again had seizure and the doctor said we have to start his medication and started epilex 3 ml in morning and 3 ml at night. for last 7 days he was normal. He had a fever of 100.3 degree today and again had a seizure that lasted for 3 minutes. Is this normal when we are giving him a anti seizure medication. What should be our next step from now on.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 16 minutes later

Fever does increase the tendency to have seizure when a patient is already predisposed to it. However a patient on medications for seizure should not get a seizure even during fever episodes. Therefore it means that current dose of medications is inadequate for your child. He either needs to be hiked up on epilex depending on his body weight or alternatively another drug needs to be added to his regimen.

You can continue follow up with your neurologist and he will be able to decide further course of treatment.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck!!!
Follow-up: Had seizure with fever. ECG and MRI done. Getting fever. Is this normal? 9 hours later
Thank you dr. For your inputs . How long would it take for my son to recover. His growth and other activities are completely normal except for seizures once in 10 to 1d day time.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 16 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

It is difficult to predict the period of time when he would be seizure free at this point of time. So let me answer your query in this way. Complete freedom from seizure for 2-3 years is minimum that is needed to take a decision regarding discontinuing medications.

If seizures are well controlled by medication, epilepsy should not affect his growth and development.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you have more queries.

Good luck!!!
Follow-up: Had seizure with fever. ECG and MRI done. Getting fever. Is this normal? 25 hours later
Thanks Doctor, this would help. I just hope and pray my kid comes out of this asap.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 12 hours later
Best wishes once again.

If you have no more follow up queries, please close this discussion. Your reviews will be much appreciated.