Had seizure attack. Having tingling sensation on arm and slurred speech. What's wrong?

Nov 2013

I have a periodic electric tingling my arm sometimes when I move quickly. It's accompanied by tiny jerk of my arm. Someone watching me would never notice it. What is happening? Also had a petty bad seizure last week. I also have difficulty sayig the words I want to say and I slur them when I do. What is wrong with me?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 51 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the description, these episodes could be partial (or focal) sensory seizures. In this condition, an electric tingling sensation may start in one part of the body and move to another part.

It is usually due to a pathology in the sensory cortex (parietal lobe) of brain.

Since you also have slurring of speech, the language area (left side of brain) may also be affected.

I would advise you to consult a neurologist. Detailed clinical examination may be followed by MRI scan of brain and EEG (electroencephalography).

Treatment would consist of anti epileptic medications such as oxcarbazepine.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist