Had second stroke, lost consciousness, fluttering eyes. Hemiplegic. What is the likelihood of surviving this stroke?

I know someone who is 52 years old, she had a stroke 10 years ago (haemorrhage) and left hemiplegic. She is in wheelchair, regained some speech and has a social life. She lives with her family in a normal house and she has 24 hr paid support due to a huge payout. She just had another stroke 2 weeks ago, I am not sure what type. She has been out of consciousness fro that time, it is said she responds to light (flutters her eyes) some sounds and pain (not sure what that means), She of course has not eaten normally. Apparently her sister said she has become worse..what does that mean? What is the liklihood of her surviving this stroke? It has now been 2 weeks. If she does, what is the prognosis? I would appreciate a truthful answer, it is very hard to get one as it is assumed I am devastated, I am not. i just want some hard core facts. thankyou.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
I would like to thank you for your description. There are several parameters that need to be assessed inorder to be able to give a rough idea of the prognosis. The prognosis actually depends on where the damage has occurred in the brain and how severe is it. Thus, in order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following
a.     How long has she been in this stage?
b.     Is she opening eyes spontaneously? If no, does she open eyes to pain?
c.     Is she able to answer questions? If yes, are the responses appropriate and the words discernible? If no, is she giving any answers at all?
d.     Has she developed any further complications like infections/bed sores ?
e.     Did she have any other medical conditions apart from recovering from a haemorrhagic stroke like diabetes or hypertension?
According to the Karnofsky performance score, her score is presently 20%. The lowest is 0 and lower the score, worse is the survival. Further, another scale called the Glasgow coma scale is used which takes into consideration eye opening, voice and motor function (this is what responds to pain, makes some sound and opens eye to light mean).
If you could also upload reports of the investigations that have been done for her, that would be a big help. You can upload the reports using the "Upload your reports" section on the right.
Awaiting your reply.
I wish her a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Had second stroke, lost consciousness, fluttering eyes. Hemiplegic. What is the likelihood of surviving this stroke? 5 hours later
Thankyou for your reply; I do not have anymore information. She is not awake; she does not speak. She has been like this for 2 weeks now. I do not have any reports to upload. She is not diabetic, her blood pressure is ok I think. No further complications. Not opening eyes spontaneously. cannot answer questions. No speech.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 23 hours later
Thanks for getting back.
I understand that she is in stupor and is completely bed ridden. Her Glasgow coma scale score is 3, which implies a severe injury to the brain. I am afraid that such a condition does not carry a good prognosis. Most of these patients succumb to infections, mainly respiratory, urinary tract infections and have several complications which greatly reduce the quality of life. Good nursing care is very important to improve her quality of life.
I am sorry and may Lord give you the strength to bear this situation.
I hope I was of help. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries