Had safe sex was diagnosed with hpv56. How to find out if I am suffering from same?

Question
A woman i had safe sex was diagnosed which hpv56 and claims she got it from me as i was the only one she had sex with but that it does not effect. man.
Can u tell me how i can find out if i have it and if yes how is it transmited and if i could have given it to other women i had sex with since. Also when i use condoms is there still a risk?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Human Papilloma virus infection(HPV) commonly presents as genital warts, molluscum contagiosum etc. It is transmitted through sexual intercourse.

You can find out whether you have HPV or not by serological tests to detect HPV antibodies.

Condoms are an effective way to get protected from various STDs. However, condoms may not fully protect against HPV. HPV infection can occur in areas which are uncovered by the condom.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Had safe sex was diagnosed with hpv56. How to find out if I am suffering from same? 2 hours later
So is it okay for me to have sex with a condom with another woman? Am I right to assume that as I had no symptoms, get yearly a full blown test done and would not even have know had she not told me, the chance that I transmit this to another woman are very small?

Where can you do these test and how long does it take to get the results?

In case I have HPV (by the way what does HPV56 mean?) what does this mean: a) for myself b) for my sex life as I am divorced and since then have no more firm partner.

Looking forward to your answers.

Thanks

D

Answered by Dr. Guru 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Though, it is less, there exists a chance (risk).

Detailed Answer:
Hi D,

Thanks for the follow up!

First of all, it is not confirmed that you are not having HPV. Just absence of symptoms does not confirm it.

Condoms are an effective way to get protected from various STDs. However, condoms may not fully protect against HPV. HPV infection can occur in areas which are uncovered by the condom. Though, it is less, there exists a chance (risk).

You can undergo these tests at any skin and STD clinic or that department of any hospital.

HPV56 is one the many strains(types) of HPV. Usually effected in genital area.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications.
WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you good health