Ask a Dentist   »  

Had root canal treatment. Having pain in head and neck area. Is it due to infection spreading to blood stream?

Hi The dentist began a root canal on oct 10. I was on antibiotics for 10 days before that becaused the tooth waz abscessed. My gum was swollen and i was having headaches. The next visit, the 10th, roots were taken out, things were cleaned and they put a dressing inside the tooth. The root canal has not been completed. The dressing is staying in 6-8 weeks to help the tooth, canal properly heal. My problem is that i have a dull ache in the back of my head neck area and its been there off and on since all this started. It makes me feel groggy, tired, lightheaded and gives me a dizzy feeling. My question is do you think thst the infection spread to my bloodstream. Do you think my tooth problems are causing the Headaches etc? Its the molar before the wisdon tooth on the right side. I go in a week to complete the root canal.... Crown, etc... I hope ... Any help would be appreciated....
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: tooth abscess leads to pressure and pain Detailed Answer: Hello there; Welcome to HCM; Tooth abscess is the condition where infection of the tooth goes worst and spreads to the aurrounding periapical areas via the root apex. yes the pus filled sac creats pressure and leads to heaviness in the area and causes headache. Tooth infection may spread to surrounding vital structures like ear;sinuses;spaces of neck but does not enter the blood circulation. i suspect your root canals have some remnant infected pulp which is left unextirpated and the overlying filling is creating pressure and pain. i suggest you to visit the dentist as soon as possible ; get a xray done and complete the treatment to remove all the remnants which will devitalise the tooth completely setting it pain free for lifetime. i hope this helps; Take care; Dr.farah XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Had root canal treatment. Having pain in head and neck area. Is it due to infection spreading to blood stream? 25 hours later
Thank.... I went to the dentist today and the root canal is only 80% finished and the xray still shows infection in the tooth. Could this be the cause of the dull ache in back of head a neck? I am on my 2nd round of amoxil 500 mg 3 times a day. Why didn't the first round clear up the infection? Would it be better to extract the tooth?
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 3 days later
Brief Answer: successful root canal therepy saves the tooth. Detailed Answer: hello there , yes as you have mentioned the x ray shows infection indicates the remnants of infected pulp tissue which leads to pain in head and neck. first round of antibiotics dint work for you because the irritant was not removed completely. antibiotics like amoxycillin only helps preventing further damage. you dont need to extract the tooth if the prognosis of the tooth is good. discuss with your dentist about the life of the tooth after a successful root canal therapy. take care.