Ask a Dentist   »  

Had root canal for wisdom tooth, have swollen mouth. Suggest?

Hi, I am XXXXX XXXXXXX i would like to say you that 2yrs back i have done root canal for 2nd wisdom teeth right side of lower part & fixed a cap on it. and on top of it 8yrs back i have taken out a last wisdom teeth left side of lower part because of some pain. So it seems my mouth is smelling because of root canal but i am not sure, please confirm if it is..then what is the alternative.
My query is...whether root canal is good for health?
Tell me the alternative to intact my teeth as my gum is little weak.?
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes in deeply carious too root canal is best.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in.

In my opinion when tooth is deeply carious then Root Canal Treatment is best option followed by capping. But it needs to be maintained since cap cannot be removed and cleaned.

In such case I prefer using 0.2% chlorhexidine mouthwash.

Maintain proper oral hygiene by regular brushing & use floss to prevent food lodgment. Do gum massage to keep your gums intact.
If there is no pain or swelling in that tooth then you will get relief by these steps.

Consult your dentist for further examination & treatment plan.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr Neha