Had right side solder dislocation. Suggested surgery. Safe to play cricket?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor,

I had a right side solder dislocation some 11 months back, got it fixed in the normal way by my orthopaedic doctor without the need of surgery any surgery as that was the first time it happend to me. Now it feels completely normal without any pain or anyting. FYI I am a natural left hander now I want to play cricket again as its my passion and I am a natural left hander and the solder dislocation happened to my right hand.

Need your consultation about will it be safe to play cricket now after 11 months or I should not risk it by stressing it. If yes, how many more days it would need to completely settle down.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 56 minutes later

Since you are a left handed person, any athletic activity with that limb would not be a problem. You may resume your sports and be careful while using right arm.

You must have been informed by your treating physician about the anatomy of the shoulder joint and how rotator cuff plays an important role in joint stability. Dislocation usually causes tear in it or in the inferior capsule along many other co morbidities. It takes a while to heal and the exact time cannot be determined, but can be known when the pain and instability has completely subsided (clinically). Meanwhile physiotherapy for muscle strengthening plays an important role. If the strength of muscles is now balanced, you can perform routine as well as unusual activity too, but remember that recurrent dislocation is always a threat.

To sum it up, you must always remember to be extra cautious while playing sports or any activity that requires your arm to be in outstretched and externally rotated position.

I hope this answers your query. For any further doubts, feel free to ask. I'm available for follow up.