Had right side paralysis. Blood pressure is 120/80. Is this brain or heart attack?

my mom had a right side paralysis - loss of speech trouble swallowing and falling to the right side when setting or walking. Her blood sugar is normal ( not diabetic), her blood pressure is 120/80, her ldl is big, but her hdl is even higher. is this brain heart attack?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is called Brain Stroke Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. The condition is called brain stroke. Stoke occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is cut off due to either, a blood clot, fat clot or an air bubble, blocking the blood vessel in the brain. Bleeding in the brain (called Brain hemorrhage) also causes a stroke. Thirdly, there is a gradual and progressive deposition of cholesterol inside the main blood vessels (called a plaque) with progressive narrowing of the lumen. Frequently, a part of the plaque gets dislodged, flows along the blood into the smaller blood vessels of the brain and block them. This is particularly common in elderly people. At times, due to sluggish flow of blood in the veins, formation of blood clots occurs, which too cause obstruction of the brain vessels. Since the LDL levels are high in your mother's blood, drugs to reduce the various harmful types of cholesterol, particularly triglycerides and LDL should be given to her (these drugs are called statins). Further, the dead brain does not regenerate. Hence, only partial improvement is possible. Regular physiotherapy and statins will help in preventing recurrence of a brain stroke. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agrees with my opinion and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal