Had resection 40% medial meniscus. Having knee pain. How long is the healing process? Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Had resection of 40% medial meniscus Feb 28,2013 it was a complete tear of medial meniscus still having some pain in knee. Did 2 months of physio 2 times a week i am 64 years of age swells up also. Any advice would be helpfull. I am sstill icing it and exercizing on my oun now. Approximately how long is healing process. Had the surgery done in the USA as i was wintering there. Thanking you in advance XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

From description it seems partial medial meniscectomy was done 4 months back.
Good rehabilitation programme is required after this to achieve early control of pain and edema, full weight bearing, obtaining full range of motion of knee and regaining proper quadriceps strength.

Do not worry, it will take 1 to 2 months more for healing process.
Continue physiotherapy exercises to regain the strength of knee and to reduce pain and swelling. You can continue to use ice and compressive wrap around knee to reduce swelling and pain.

Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Please accept my answer if you do not have further query.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Dr Saurabh Gupta