Had repeated urinary bladder infections. Cyst in the kidney. What does atypical morphology of kidney mean?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
What does attypical morphology of kidneys mean and irregular borders of the pyramids of the kidneys. I also have cyst in kidney. This all started a few months ago after having repeated (8 bladder and one kidney infection.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 49 minutes later
Hi there,

I have read and understood your query.

Is this ultrasound finding of both kidneys or of only one kidney?

What is the IMPRESSION mentioned on the Ultrasound report?

Regarding your query, atypical morphology of kidney with irregular borders of the kidney means there is some kidney damage which may be an abnormality prior to the infection or can occur as a result of the infection.

The kidney cyst can be a normal occurrence in some people but can also occur due to chronic kidney infection. There is usually no immediate problem in this regard.

Usually due to recurrent urine carries bacteria to the kidney and spreads the infection to it.

Many conditions can cause the above mentioned clinical picture but medullary sponge kidney, early pyelonephritis (chronic kidney infection) are common causes.

You need to eat low carbohydrate and salt diet, plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, drink plenty of water. Cranberry juice helps prevent urinary tract infections, can also be consumed.

Get your kidney function tests done regularly and follow the advice of your doctor. High blood pressure can also be bad for the kidneys so you need to keep blood pressure under control by proper diet, exercise and required medications if any.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Had repeated urinary bladder infections. Cyst in the kidney. What does atypical morphology of kidney mean? 11 hours later
Thank you for your response. Please let me clarify some items as I now have my MRI/MRCP of abdomen.

Findings: Atypical morphology of the kidneys with the margins of the pyramids demonstrating delayed concentration of contrast and high signl on T-2 weighted images as noted. Benign parapelvic cysts, a benign 1.5 cm nonenhancing fluid signal intesity mass in the postermedial mid right kidney as well as a few additional similiar appearing nonenhancing cysts in both otherwise unremarkable appearing kidneys.

Impression: Diffuse atypical morphology of both kidneys which may be an antomic variant or a systemic process such as nephrocalcinosis with abnormal signal along the margins of the pyramids. Fatty liver.
All these issues started after the thyroid misfunctioning. On a ultrasound my thryoid just looks like a glob. Could this affect the parathyroid glands thus contributing to the issue. I have good days and then days I can hardly function due to nausea, fatigue and itching. I have an appt. with a nephrologist but not for 3 weeks. Any further help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a good day.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 minutes later
Hi there.

How is your blood pressure

Have you done kidney function tests like urea, creatinine

Have you tested your serum calcium levels

Any tests done for parathyroid function

According to the Report, the kidneys may have had cysts since birth, so not really much of a problem. It can be seen normally in people without causing problems.

Regarding possibility of Nephrocalcinosis, it can occur due to high calcium level in blood or due to the abnormal shape and architecture of the kidney. So, kindly get your blood work done for the same.

It has been seen that some patients with hypothyroidism may be associated with nephrocalcinosis but unless any problem in kidney function and blood pressure, nothing to worry about.

Calcium level fluctuation in your body can account for the nausea, itching, but also if kidney is malfunctioning.

Taking stepwise approach, you need to get few investigations done like blood pressure, kidney function tests, serum calcium and phosphate levels, urine tests, blood work to rule out anemia and other disorders as well.

Once investigation results are available, the Doctor will be in better position to comment on whether your kidneys are malfunctioning or is there another reason for your problems.

Follow-up: Had repeated urinary bladder infections. Cyst in the kidney. What does atypical morphology of kidney mean? 12 hours later
I have had cmp done which showed bun of 22 and yes, I do have high blood pressure of which I take bystolic for. As far as the parathyroid -what tests are done for this? When you say phosphate levels do you mean the alkp levels? I also have elevated liver enzymes which go along with the fatty liver. One thing I have failed to mention was with all of this my abdomen gets so distended that I look like I am 9 months pregnant and I have had a scope and colonoscopy which have turned out negative. As you can tell I feel like I have been scanned, tested and tested and I still don't have any clear cut answers. Hopefully the nephrologist can shed some diagnostic light on this.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 50 minutes later
Hi there.

I would like to ask you if you have swelling of your feet as well.

The distention of your abdomen could be because of fluid accumulation as a result of kidney damage or even liver damage. Since your blood pressure and BUN are high, it is indicative of kidney damage. Fatty liver usually does not cause such symptoms especially if Alkaline phosphate levels (ALKP) levels are elevated.

You need to avoid alcohol intake completely. Avoid much salt in diet as this can aggravate the swelling and stomach distention and also increase your blood pressure. Keep well hydrated. Eat a healthy diet XXXXXXX in fiber and proteins.

If there is significant kidney damage, dialysis should be a better option to prevent the problems you are experiencing. Regarding Parathyroid testing, first get the Serum calcium and Serum phosphate levels estimated.

Do discuss with your Doctor about the remedy for the kidney and liver issues you are faced with and bring out the best treatment option to relieve you of your troubles and prevent further problems as much as possible.

Follow-up: Had repeated urinary bladder infections. Cyst in the kidney. What does atypical morphology of kidney mean? 7 hours later
You are one amazing Dr.! I truly appreciate all the time you have put into my answers. Yes I have some leg and feet swelling--mild. I also have learned not to drink even one drink because it makes me feel really lousy and not worth it. I also avoid salt as much as possible. Also, I have learned to avoid cola drinks or even coffee as seems to interfere with kieneys. Thanks again-----

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 38 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

It appears your kidneys are not functioning optimally. Please speak to your nephrologist for treatment options.

You should be well hydrated through the day. Avoid salt and protein and have a healthy and balanced diet.