Had reoccurring rashes on upper and inner thigh. What could this be?

Aug 2012

I've had a reoccurring rash for the last 6 months. It is primarily on my upper and inner thighs. It starts as small reddish bumps that itch really bad. As I itch/scratch them, they become very inflamed, then dissappear, turn into bruises, and then the itch moves to another area of the upper thigh. I've had two shots over this time period that have killed it for a month or two, then it comes back. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 3 hours later

have you noticed the rash after any change to brand new inners? May be the new cloth/elastic or any such material used for it is causing allergy to you. When you took some shots, were they steroids? If so, then immunosupression has worked well on you. Now, you should be checking for hemoglobin, total white cell count, differential count, ESR, uric acid, serum creatinine, liver function test, clotting time and platelet counts in your blood. This will give us direction in which way your therapy be started.
It doesn't seem to be a bug-bite as it is recurring since past 6 months.
So it can be an allergic rash or it can be due to some byproducts of metabolism accumulated in excess in your blood, either due to your metabolic disturbances or due to the medications you are using. Doing all those blood tests will guide one to decide on the cause.
For this, please see a Dermatologist of general physician who can get your investigations done if you have any kind of insurance. Plus let me know what kinds of shots you had taken to treat this. I am not sure if anti-allergy medications like cetrizine or fexofenadine are available over the counter in the United States. But for time being you can use them with your doctor's permission and guidance.
Take care and let me know if you have any test results ready with you.