Ask a Dentist   »  

Had removed tooth. Should I take antibiotic? What is the dosage?

I just back from Hospital, Dentist just removed a tooth of my Daughter (8 Years), but he never give me Prescription for Antibiotic.
Do you think that after a removel of tooth she must have Antibiotic? If yes what type? And how many Milligrams?
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Some studies say that if the tooth is extracted under aseptic conditions under antibiotic cover prior to the extraction it does not necessarily need antibiotic post extraction.

If you provide me some relevant details, I will give my opinion.

1.Did he give prescription prior to extraction?if yes,for how many days and what?
2.Extracted tooth was firm or movable?
3.Which tooth has gone for extraction?
4.How much time the dentist take to extract the tooth?

I hope you understand all these points are important to decide the need for cover.

Awaiting for your reply.