Had removal of spleen, now developed hernia along with incision causing distress and pain. Suggest?

1997 my son in car accident, removal of spleen, etc., now has developed hernia along the incision. Now causing distress and pain. No insurance, can't work. please advise. Gas and digestion causes intense pain.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Incisional hernia needs to be repaired. Complications like intestinal obstruction can occur which can be an emergency. The pain could be because of obstruction and the application of ointment etc may be relieving it. I suggest that you get your son examined by a surgeon and proceed with the repair.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal