Had relationship. Concerned about having HIV. Married for 15 years. What would be my chances?

Question
Hello doctor

Of lately I have been worrying myself about a relationship I was in from 1994-1998. I am female and 37 years of age. I am concerned about HIV. I did use protection on some occasions but not all. I believe I have no symptoms as such but it is always in the back of my mind. I am married now with a 12 year old daughter and both seem healthy. It has been 15 years now since that relationship what would my chances be after all this time ? Thank you for your help
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

I can understand your concern. Usually, if a person is infected with with HIV, he/she may not be having any symptoms for several years (generally for about 10 years) apart from a flu like illness in the initial months of exposure. In these several years, the virus replicates and the immune system may get damaged leading to frequent various opportunistic infections. So, as it has been more than 15 years since you had some risky exposure and you are healthy without any symptoms, I believe that there is very very less chance that you might have got infection.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health!

Follow-up: Had relationship. Concerned about having HIV. Married for 15 years. What would be my chances? 1 hour later
Thank you for the reply the only problems with my health I have had recently are allergies which at times can be hard to control. For example sinus infections hives and asthma. Over the past few years I have had a couple of chest infections too. Does this sound like any hiv symptoms? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thanks for the update and follow up! Just based on the symptoms or infections you have mentioned, it is almost impossible to say whether these are HIV related or not. The reason is that HIV symptoms vary widely and are very non specific, not related to any particular part of human body.

I can understand your apprehension. But I am sorry. And to get yourself convinced it is better to undergo tests like ELISA which are screening tests to detect HIV, which is the only way to definitely know the presence of HIV infection

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.