Had red spots. Spread on arms. Smoke. Tried lotions, detergents and eczema creams. Cure?

I have had red spots on my torso for about a year now. They'll fade sometimes, but never go away. More recently they have spread down my arms. They can get really dark on my arms (especially my biceps) but when they fade they're not even visible. My chest, stomach and back are all consistent though. I'm almost 25 years old and a male. I smoke cigarettes and work outside (in Arizona) at a car wash around chemicals. I've been told it may have something to do with excessive energy drinks. They are biggest on my chest. I have tried a variety of lotions, detergents, eczema creams, selsun blue and selsun yellow.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 14 minutes later
Thanks for the query and related photograph.

In my view it is a fungal infection called as P. Versicolor.
It is usually asymptomatic and can be extensive.

As the area involved is large, ointments and creams will not help.
You need treatment with oral antifungals like fluconazole.

These are prescription drugs and you need to XXXXXXX a dermatologist to get it prescribed.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

Thank you