Had red spot on cervix. Pap test came back normal. Should I go for specialist advice?

I was told I had a red spot on my cervix. My pap came back normal but he wants me to see a specialist. What does this mean? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I myself have seen consults related to "spots" seen on the cervix that are concerning to the person doing the pap smear. In all likelihood, it is nothing to be concerned about, especially in light of the normal pap smear. That being said, you should probably go ahead with the consult with an OB/GYN to further evaluate the cervix, especially if this is a "new" problem.

At that visit, they will probably perform a "colposcopy" which is a microscope used to look closely at the cervix. It would be very reasonable to expect a biopsy of the red spot to rule out pre-cancerous changes of the cervix. My guess is this is nothing to worry about if you have never had an abnormal pap, and especially if you have had no abnormal vaginal bleeding.

Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!