Had red dots on feet and legs. Has petechia on both feet to calf and HPV. Related?

Hi, I am a NP. My son called me ( he lives about 100 miles away). He said he had red dots over his feet and legs. Said they were not painful. I initially thought it might be flea bites since he was out in the yard in sandles a lot. I told him to watch and if they didn't go away or got worse to call me and I would come and look at them. ( he has no insurance). A week later he says they were fading in some areas but a few new ones appeared. I went to see him and he has petechia on both feet to mid calf. It is not particularly heavy but definitely there. No recent illnesses, trauma etc. he does have hpv and I think it may be related to that as he has had some associated derm. problems. I want to have some labs drawn and refer him if necessary. In order to keep his costs down what would be the most basic labs needed for an initial investigation. Thanks
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

The condition can be petechie or pigmented purpuric dermatosis.

The basic blood test you will need to rule out any serious problem would be-
Total and differential WBC count, Haemoglobin level, platelet count , Bleeding and clotting time.
These are basic investigation and should not cost much.

If these investigations are found to be within normal level then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Hope this helps. I will be available for any further clarification.