Had red and itchy rash on belt line. Don't sweat , and gets worse when go camping. Advise?

Hi, I've had a rash on belt line for a few months now. It's red and itching. I've noticed it getting a little better on the days I don't sweat a lot. And gets worse when I go camping.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 39 minutes later

From your description, it looks like you have developed a fungal infection over your trunk which in most cases is Tinea infection.

Such infections are common in summers and rainy season especially owing to the hot and humid weather and increased sweating.
These fungal infections are common at the belt line due to occlusion effect and thereby increased sweating in the area.

Now firstly it is important to wear cotton clothes as far as possible in order to reduce sweating.
Avoid using any kind of moisturising creams or oils over the affected areas.
Keep the area clean and dry.

You will need treatment with both topical and oral antifungals.
Continuous treatment for 2 to 3 weeks is essential in order to prevent recurrence.

You can in addition take oral antihistamines to relieve the itching.

Hope it helps,
If you have any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul.