Ask a Urologist   »  

Had rectocyle. Ultrasound showed fullness in kidney, advised CT Scan. What does fullness mean?

Jul 2016

I am seeing a urogynecoligist for a rectocyle. As part of the evaluation they did an ultrasound that showed some "fullness" in one kidney. He wants me to have a CT Scan. I don't want a CT scan because of the radiation. What would a fullness in the kidney possibly mean? I don't want a CT scan due to a history of thyroid cancer.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It does not signify any pathology.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen for rectocele as a part of routine protocol and has revealed fullness of pelvi -calyceal system on one side.

Urine is formed in cortex of the kidney and filtered in a collecting system called as Pelvis and Calyces (Pelvi-Calyceal System.) It remains their for couple of minutes and then drained down drop by drop in bladder through ureter in a pulsatilre manner .In some individuals this mechanism is slow and and the magnitude of contraction of the ureter is mild compared to normal that results urine to remain in pelvis for a little longer time which causes it to remain full for more time .This is termed as Fullness of pelvi calyceal system.

It is not significant as it does not obstruct the flow of urine.This could be either congenital or due to extrinsic pressure over ureter by rectocele.

Normally if there is no obstruction to flow of urine causing hydronephrosis I do not recommend CT Scan in such cases. Please discuss this with your Urologist .

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you