Had rectocyele and cystocele surgery with catheter. Have swelling in urethral region. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I had rectocyele and cystocele surgery 7 weeks ago today. I came home with a catheter for a week. At my 2 week check up my gyno did a quick exam and said all was will. I have not had any pain but have obsessed about the feeling of another bulge. I look everyday and the feeling is coming from the urethral area. It looks swollen. Is swelling in this area normal. I do see my dr. tomorrow. Thanks
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Mild swelling around urethral region or at the top of vagina is quite normal following cystocele or rectocele repair. It can persist for several months without causing any problem.

The fact is that normal circulation is disrupted in this area during cystocele or rectocele repair and it may cause mild to profound swelling in the surrounding tissue. It takes time to gradually diminish & usually does not cause further complication.

Some other factors like bladder or urinary infection, delaying in bladder empty, hematoma or seroma may be associated with above clinical picture. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist to perform pelvic examination for complete evaluation. You may require ultrasound scan, urine examination to rule out the underlying causes. Take suggestive measures according to that.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. If you have any other query, you can ask me freely.

Wish your good health and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had rectocyele and cystocele surgery with catheter. Have swelling in urethral region. Suggest? 3 hours later
Thanks so much for your answer. This makes me feel relieved. A question associated with the recotcele surgery. I seem to have a feeling that I have to have a bowel movement but it doesn't happen right away. There is extreme pressure in the anus area which makes it uncomfortable to sit. I only had a Grade 1 rectocele so I hope that this will resolve its self also. I have been taking stool softners etc and uping my fiber intake. Maybe I am expecting more at 7 weeks. Is there probably still some swelling??

Answered by Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

The very first thing, you must keep your bowel movement regular by means of taking laxatives (preferably at bed time), drinking more water and eating fiber XXXXXXX diet including fresh vegetables & fruits. You also take a sound sleep with complete relaxation. These will definitely help to reduce strain and pressure in anus along with resolving the problem of rectocele.

In addition, you need one pelvic examination by your gynecologist to assess the status of present swelling. Definite diagnosis can't be made without proper clinical view and examination. Mild swelling usually doesn't require any further treatment if associated factors are ruled out. It will disappear over the time.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Be well and good luck. Don't be worried much.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had rectocyele and cystocele surgery with catheter. Have swelling in urethral region. Suggest? 2 hours later
Thanks so much for your great and reassuring answers. I will see my gyno tomorrow and let you know what I find out. I will try not to worry much.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
You are most welcome.

All the best.

Follow-up: Had rectocyele and cystocele surgery with catheter. Have swelling in urethral region. Suggest? 17 hours later
I had my visit with my doctor and she said all was good. She did an exam which was quite painful and then I did have some bleeding afterwards. Should I be concerned about the bleeding? Not alot

Answered by Dr. S Patra 44 minutes later

Thanks for your response.

Pelvic examination may be painful due to insertion of speculum or other instruments for overall check up. It is routinely done in follow-up examination procedure.

Sometimes mild bleeding may occur due to local blunt trauma with instrument. It will stop automatically. No treatment is required. Just maintain your genital hygiene and do not much wipe out.

Hopefully, I can assume that you are now stress free after consultation with your gynecologist.

Take care yourself. Be well.

Dr Soumen