Had rectal cancer and treated with permanent colostomy. On urinal catheter.Safe to have cataract surgery?

It’s about my father. He had rectal cancer and successfully treated with permanent colostomy. His rectal surgery was done before 3 years. At the same time he had enlarged prostates which were decided to be operated later on after his recovery. Due to the prostate problem he is on urinal catheter since 3 years.
During this time he got cataract in his eyes. He needs an eye surgery to remove cataract. Upon taking some test at pre anesthetist clinic some urine infection found. Doctor has advised us not to do the cataract surgery until the infection heals completely. He is taking medicine to clear the infection for a month now but the infection still exists.
On the other hand, another urologist says it is difficult to clear the urine infection until he is with the catheter.
I want to ask
Is it really not possible to do the cataract surgery with the urine infection?
What is the best medicine to heal the urine infection?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 8 hours later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Cataract as a rule is to be operated upon early as if you wait too long the cataract becomes harder and phaco emulsification then is not possible and then you have to revert back to surgery with sutures.
Since he is already on antibiotics after c/s one should go ahead withsurgery.
Uti is not a blood borne infection so is un likely to have a hematogenous spread.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.