Had rectal cancer. Developed abscess in the same area. Having pain. Natural? Pain medication?

Yes. My friend had rectal cancer which was treated successfully. He then developed an abscess in that area that took about 8 weeks to drain. The drain was removed today but he continues to complain of excessive pain? Is this natural. His doctor won't give him any more pain medication.

Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending a question.

Significant infection and abscess In a very sensitive area of the body can cause a significant amount of pain. In addition I suspect that he was also treated with radiation which can cause a delay in clearance of infection.

I expect the pain will slowly but surely improve but this may take several months. I would encourage you to continue to be supportive to him during this period of time. He could use non-narcotic Medication such as Tylenol or ibuprofen for symptomatically. Most likely he will need to rest for a significant period of time until his body heals

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.
Dr Galamaga