Had reaction to insect bite on arm with dark circle around. Given antibiotic. Blood work showed high MCV level

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had an insect bite on my arm and had a reaction to this . It kept getting worse with dark circle around it. Finally went to ER to have it checked . Was given antibiotic for bite . During the process routine bloodwork was done . Everything was normal except for MCV of 103. I have had this same elevation for years but don't really recall the actual number. All of my other areas were normal as they have been for years . I am hypothyroid and have taken Levothroxin for years . Can the hypothyroidism cause elevation in MCV . Also can dehydration cause this elevation. Physician checked b12 before and it was fine. Thanks so much.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hypothyroidism can elevate MCV levels.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Yes, Hypothyroidism can definitely cause elevation of MCV (mean corpuscular volume) levels. Dehydration has got no direct bearing or relationship with an elevated MCV.

The normal values of MCV is between 80-100. You are just above normal (can otherwise be taken as high normal, in the absence of other known causes).

Vitamin B12 & Folic acid deficiency are the commonest causes of raised MCV. As they are normal in you (as checked by your physician), I feel there is nothing much to worry about as all other hematological parameters are normal in you.

Mild and Isolated elevation in MCV in the absence of Anemia is not a matter of concern and warrants no investigations.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further