Had rapid heartbeat. Feeling thirsty and huge stomach. What should I do to get relief?

had rapid heartbeat last week in hospital -- no issues with heart or blood clots
last 2 weeks drinking 100-250 oz of water and still very very thirsty/dehydrated?
Bloating last 7 days pretty bad to the point now stomach is huge and still feel like air is being pumped in it
( like i am 9 mos pregnant though I am a guy lol
Going to gastro tonight ---- taking gas ex to no avail --- anything I can do to alleviate the symptoms till tomorrrow ?
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 41 minutes later
I understand you were admitted to the hospital because of a rapid heartbeat or arrhythmia (so i am guessing Atrial fibrillation or flutter). The only direct relation with your bloating symptoms I can think is that you had decreased blood flow to a portion of your intestines during your "rapid heartbeat attack" or arrhythmia, which could lead to a self limited episode of ischemia (decreased blood flow to the intestine). I am not sure if they gave you any medications during your hospital stay that could have potentially triggered those side effects.
OTher issues to be considered are: slow bowel transit due to diabetes which can lead to delayed gastric emptying and bloating; celiac sprue; thyroid problems; viral infection, etc.
While you see the gastroenterologist i recommend you to continue taking Gas-X. You can also try "Beano" (over the counter). Avoid fruits and vegetables since these can cause a lot of gas. Do a trial of avoiding dairy products.
Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions or comments.