Had radial neck excision and cannot use fingers. Underlying causes?

Question
I had radial neck exsision on the 19th of July, and I cant use my fingers, could u plz tell me what's wrong.Thank u
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms could be due to muscle or joint problem

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms you have could most probably be due to muscle or joint involvement rather than nerve involvement. Nerve involvement usually leaves the affected part numb along with the weakness. But it is always better to rule out nerve problems by getting a Nerve conduction studies.

I do not think that the radical neck dissection is related to this condition anyhow. Damage to the deeper structures like brachial nerve plexus or 8th cervical vertebra or 9th Thorasic vertebra can cause such neurological problems in the hand.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Had radial neck excision and cannot use fingers. Underlying causes? 7 hours later
is this problem fixable,if thats the problem.and what will that consist of if there is a cure.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, condition can e curable

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the condition can be curable. It may need oral medications and sometimes surgery to relive compression on the nerves involved.

Do consult a Neurologist and get the nerve conduction study test done to identify the pattern and cause.