Had quadruple bypass done. What should be done for clogged bypass?

Cardiac Surgeon
What are the options for a old bypass that are clogged?
has had quadruple bypass in 2003
all 4 bypass clogged. A stent placed in one of them, now they discover other 3 clogged
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 5 hours later

It is unfortunate that old grafts have been blocked. There are many ways to deal with it. The average life span of venous grafts is about 10 years. Whereas, the lifespan of an arterial (LIMA-Internal mammary artery or radial artery) graft is more than 15 years. The patency depends upon many factors like lifestyle, diet, exercise etc.

I hope repeat conventional angiogram has been done (not CT Angiogram). If all the vessels are blocked, the cardiologist would have stented a vessel which is life saving. The blood vessel named LAD is the main artery supplying the heart, most probably as a life saving procedure, that vessel has been taken care by stenting.

The only option left now is repeat bypass surgery. We call it redo CABG. In skilled hands, it is a safe procedure. If you can attach a copy of angiogram report, that would benefit me in explaining better.

I wish you all the best. Kindly get back to me if you have further queries.