Had pulmonary fibrosis. Shoulder x-ray showed density in upper lobe. Related?

My Dad had a shoulder XRay done and it showed density in upper lobe and now he is going for a CT Scan. He has had Pulminary Fibrosis for a number of years. Could this be part of the Pulminary Fibrosis? He is 92 years of age. Should I be overly concerned?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for using healthcare magic,
Pulmonary fibrosis simply means some abnormal hardening and regeneration of lung tissue. It is normal tissue, but only for the fact that it is more abundant than usual. If your concern is that it could be a cancer or tumor that has spread (metastasis), very far from that, pulmonary fibrosis does not spread.
Calcifications at his age are really very common. A CT scan is really needed in this case actually ascertain that the calcification is benign, not tumoral. Other pathologies could cause calcifications in the shoulder and not fibrosis.
Thanks and would be honored answering any further questions if need be.
Best regards as I wish him the best of health,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Had pulmonary fibrosis. Shoulder x-ray showed density in upper lobe. Related? 9 hours later
The Doctors office said there was some density in the upper lobe. Can there be density do to the Pulminary Fibrosis. They did not say anything about calcifications.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 hours later

Thanks for the question and clarification. Its possible it could be due to fibrosis. Its very very possible. Its a good idea to do the other tests as the doctor prescribed. I believe the doctor's reasoning and management is appropriate.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best regards as I hope it helps,
Luchuo, MD.