Had psychiatric problems. Prescribed medication. Suffer withdrawal symptoms. Suffering from depression or anxiety. Normal?

I had some psychiatric problems about 12 years back. The psychiatrist advised some medicines but discontinued all of them in some span of period except one i.e.; Venlor XR 75. I am taking this medicine till date and if I leave it for a day there are withdrawl symptoms, though I am not suffering from depression or anxiety any more. But over the years I have developed a habit of heavy consumption of liquor due to which my family life is disturbed. Although I neither make any nuisance after drinking and am basically sober but then society does not accept.I had asked a psychiatric and he he gave me lot of medicine ( frankly which I think I do not require) like, Solzam 100;Benfomet Plus; XXXXXXX 100; Ursocol100, Oropaaz; Mod 50, and Baclog 100 in various proportions and in increasing/decreasing trends for 2 weeks. After consuming these medicines for last 10 days I XXXXXXX not feel any change in me. I am I was before. Today I had to consult a physician because the boils and redness in my right side arm pit were increasing. He has advised me to go for a course which is of 22 days duration and prescribed me some drugs including antibiotic and multivitamin. I cannot consume 20 tablets on a daily basis. What should I do? otherwise I am a perfectly normal person and doing my official and homely duties in a normal fashion.

Regards- XXXXX
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You dont need 20 tablets for deaddiction

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

I understand that you have become dependent on venlafaxine. The only way to get rid of it is to gradually taper it to 37.5 and then stop it after a week.

Regarding the alcohol problem the only medicines that you need are a capsules containing vitamins and another agent which will reduce the cravings. In my clinic i prescribe my patient vibrania as a multivitamin and acamprosate as an anti craving medication. For boils you need to take an extra anti biotic but thats it. No need for any other medication.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.