Had protected sex with prostitute. HIV test negative. Should I repeat after 3 months?

Hi Doc,
I had a protected vaginal and oral sex with a prostitute on 30th March. As recommended i did a Hiv test on 21st May day before yesterday and the result came out neg. Should i still consider to re test after 3 months. I have no symptoms or any illness
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later

Thanks for asking.

HIV tests can take a long time to be positive in case a person has contracted the infection.

There are two type of tests which are done for HIV, ELISA and HIV DNA testing by the polymerase chain reaction .

Elisa can be negative up to 3 months from the exposure ,that is the reason Elisa needs to be repeated in 3 months time to be absolutely sure about the infection.

The HIV DNA is usually positive after 21 days and a negative test has a specificity of around 95% of not having the infection.

In your case, it will depend upon which test you have done as it is already more than 6 weeks, if it is Elisa it needs to be repeated and in case it was HIV DNA , it virtually rules out the need to redo the test in 4-6 weeks.

Please let me know if you need further information
Follow-up: Had protected sex with prostitute. HIV test negative. Should I repeat after 3 months? 22 hours later
But Doc,
I had a protected sex and is it necessary to go again for test. because last time on the samewebsite a doctor told me to check one time after 4 weeks.

Even AFA told chances are negligible.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 7 minutes later

Checking one time after 4 weeks if done by HIV DNA PCR is fine.

if it was ELISA test , then it has to be repeated after 3 months.

It is up to you if you want to be 100 % sure or nearly 100% sure.